Bats remote sensing
The Renaico Wind Farm, located in the Araucanía region, has developed a pilot device for remote sensing of bats. This in order to start a process of monitoring and data analysis to avoid possible collisions with the wind turbines.
The project consists of three stages:
- Stage I (Prototype Development): the development of a functional prototype of the main component of the bat detection system is considered.
- Stage II: Adaptation of a software platform for the storage, analysis and presentation of the acquired data.
- Stage III: Development of the final equipment and concentrator model.
The Study is being developed by a specialist from the Chilean National Bat Conservation Program.
During the year 2020, a device was installed that is in operation, which has worked correctly. It is expected to install new devices in other wind turbines in the Park and to start a process of monitoring and data analysis of the information collected with the instrument. The development of a pilot device for the detection of bats would allow the creation of an integrated data storage and analysis system in the future, with the aim of reducing collisions with wind turbines.
This project pursues:
- Reduction of the impact on flying fauna.
- Implementation of innovative solutions adapted to the local reality.