“Our guiding principles are: Transparency, Diversity, Commitment, Collaboration, Reliability.”
To contribute to this purpose, it is essential to construct projects with the communities, preferably in the following areas:
a) Better access to electricity: eliminating barriers to access, promoting technical training, developing technology and accessible infrastructure and/or promoting energy awareness.
b) Social and economic development of the community: through the transfer of skills and competences, and the construction of networks that allow the local community to drive its own sustainable development within the framework of its relevant cultural sphere.
c) Support for local communities: in education, social and family support, recognition, appreciation and promotion of their own cultural identity, their health and safety, environmental protection and biodiversity.
d) Operative efficiency for Sustainability: incorporation of the efficient use of water resources, respect for the nearby environmental biodiversity, the efficient use of energy and technology in the projects being developed.
Our framework for working with communities in the areas where we operate or wish to operate, is based on the following principles:
Principle 1 “Be Present”
Relations and Involvement
- Identify cultural communities and potential common ground.
- Implement dialogue activities: exchange supporting ideas, share experiences, agree on a system to address concerns and specific opportunities of the communities, while understanding and respecting their culture.
- Guarantee relations through ongoing, permanent, transparent and good faith dialogue, based on a respect for human rights.
- Record dialogue opportunities to guarantee the transparency and traceability of information, concerns and potential collaborative development agreements.
Principle 2 “Understand the Culture”
Know the cultural profiles of the areas where we operate
- Identify, analyze, understand and value, through dialogue and evaluations, the cultural profiles of the communities in the different areas where we operate and those where we are seeking new possibilities for business development, through permanent, transparent and good faith dialogue, in order to understand the culture, traditions and opportunities of our local communities, in search of a shared vision, or at least compatible visions, for land development that respects the social and cultural reality of its inhabitants.
- Identify, analyze and measure the impact of our operations in the area to evaluate potential risks that affect the local culture, community or environment.
Principle 3 “Evolve and Integrate Cultures”
- Creation of collaborative spaces based on mutual respect
- The collaborative spaces must be aimed at understanding the value systems and culture of each place, knowing its individuals and social groups, in order to achieve development that adapts to the cultural human evolution inherent to the local way of life.
- Detect and co-define common values in order to enhance evolutional change in the development of the community that welcomes us, respecting its traditions and culture.
- Sustainability management in these areas must be aimed at respecting the autonomy of our communities, through a relationship of collaborative work, through agreements that promote and commit the existing or potential resources and skills.
- Enable, upon mutual agreement, the community’s and company’s adaptation to and integration of the new living conditions.
Principle 4 “Be Consistent”
Coherence among the business processes
Guarantee ongoing and timely communication within the company, driving a cultural change that will enable the implementation of the new Sustainability model.
Encourage sustainable development that is coherent among the different business areas, in order to strengthen a systemic approach between our corporate culture and the cultural reality of the communities and areas where we operate or wish to operate.
Respect institutional relations with the National, Regional and Local Governments, responding in a timely manner and adhering to the legal and internal regulations on lobbying, conflicts of interest and anti-corruption.
Principle 5 “Learn and Improve”
Reportability and Continuous Improvement
- Agree upon indicators with the community to reflect the evolutional level of adaptation (positive or negative) of our presence within the area.
- Disseminate the group’s Sustainability Management policy, so that the entire organization is familiar with it.
- Communicate and give visibility to our results in terms of sustainability and its level of effectiveness.
- Foster and demonstrate continuous improvement of our sustainability management, promoting a cultural change in order to incorporate sustainability as part of our ongoing conduct.
- Provide clear and concrete answers to concerns in order to create new alternatives for community relations, in accordance with the evolutional change.